You know when you start a new workout program and there's that "Honeymoon Phase" at the beginning? When you're all JACKED-UP to be there...to put in the HARD work...to see your results?
That's where I'm at, four days into Farrell's! I feel totally committed to this. I've been tracking every meal...and hey...I know it's only been four days...but 6 meals per day...that's a lot of tracking!
The only problem is, I still have that nagging doubt in the back of my head. I've been here before. I'm totally dedicated, until I'm just not. Then I fall, and fall hard ya'll.
So why is this time different? I read a quote the other day that really stuck with me:
"It's not about perfect. It's about effort.
And when you bring that effort every single day, that's where
transformation happens. That's how change occurs."
I really think that this is a BIG part of my problem. The idea of being "perfect". Clearly...I'm not...who is? The issue is that I always seem to turn any little mistake into a snowball of bad choices. Why? If I'm being honest, it's because I never really BELIEVE that I can stick with it, that I can make lasting change, that I can be that person...the one I want to be, the one I get little glimpses of sometimes.
I've let self-doubt rule my life for FAR too long. So now, instead of focusing on being perfect, I'm going to concentrate on putting ALL my effort in...every day...to every workout...every meal preparation...to the 8 million other things I do in the course of a day. Effort and attitude. I know I have complete control over those two things.
Here are a few things I'm going to do to help keep me motivated:
1. I'm going to listen to Eye of the Tiger once...every single day. I'm serious - lol! This song seriously gets me PUMPED...it doesn't matter what I'm doing when I hear it...I do it better...with more intensity when that song comes on (that includes folding laundry or just driving the car). It also makes me laugh...and who doesn't need MORE laughter in their life?
2. I'm going to start involving the kids more! My 2 and 4 year old have seemingly limitless stores of energy and they can get unreasonably excited about anything. My plan is to harness some of that unbridled JOY and happiness and use it to propel me forward!
3. I've committed to a 10wk Bootcamp...and my goal is to go to each and every class. I want perfect attendance...partly because my husband had perfect attendance during his 10wk session (and if I don't I'll never hear the end of it!) I know this directly conflicts with the whole not focusing on perfection thing...but part of really putting in the effort IS just going! Showing up...and making my workout matter.
4. I'll continue to improve my nutrition...AND bring my ENTIRE family along with me! I've been bad this week about letting the kiddos eat something different, just because it's easier. They have a lot of really great eating habits...but there are also some not-so-great ones that we need to deal with...pronto.
5. I'm going to be as forgiving with myself as I am with others. I don't expect anyone else to be perfect...so why do I hold a grudge against myself when I don't "measure up" or if I make a less than stellar call? I'm going to just be NICER to myself.
I feel really optimistic! I'm proud of the work I'm putting in. Even if I look like I'm going to croak any minute during my workouts...I'm still there...and my ATTITUDE and EFFORT are going to push me through!
Now...let's see how long this honeymoon lasts :)